Re: [Fwd: General Information]

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: General Information]
Date: 2003-04-04 16:58:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 10:48, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > What disadvantages should I consider ?
>
> Well, outside a relatively small community, postgresql does not have halo of
> it's commercial cousins. So selling it to management might be difficult
> initially. Other than that it does not beat commercial big boys as yet. But
> it is pretty close. And it does not have bloat associated with it.

You might want to reword this or better define what "beat commercial big
boys" means. Some folks might consider m$ sql server a commercial big
boy, but I think we do beat them. It might be better to just say that
postgresql does not have as many enterprise level add ons as oracle or
db2, but for the majority of database applications it can act as quality
substitute.

Robert Treat