Re: cursors: SCROLL default, error messages

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cursors: SCROLL default, error messages
Date: 2003-03-21 17:29:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 12:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hm? As of CVS tip, SCROLL most definitely does something.

Sorry -- I noticed that it doesn't actually effect whether you can do
backward fetches on the cursor, which is what I should have said.

> (No problem here with adding the noise-word option, of course.)

Note that it won't be a noise word: if NO SCROLL is specified, an
attempt to do a backward fetch on a non-scrollable cursor will yield an
error.

> > Should we change this behavior to be spec compliant, or default to
> > SCROLL if neither is specified?
>
> We already had that discussion.

Fair enough (I must have been sleeping :-) ). That behavior seems
reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Neil