Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot
Date: 2003-03-17 21:55:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 15:43, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Mysql is just more organized from a marketing standpoint and has a
> press-friendly windows port.

<rant>
One thing that has been bothering me lately is the amount of FUD that is
used in the pro-mysql arguments. The whole "it will have X feature in
release Y" is classic FUD. If you can remember back to when they had
statements explaining why transactions were bad, or foreign keys were
bad, these are also classic FUD tactics. (ie. paint your oppositions
strengths as weaknesses). It surprises me that the open source
community, we is usually pretty anti-FUD, has let this go on for so
long. I know it's quite likely that we've done some spinning in the
past, generally I think the people promoting postgresql have done a good
job of avoiding spin and have steered clear of these types of
underhanded things, and I think the quality of posters on all of these
message boards supporting us reflects this.
</rant>

Robert Treat