Re: Foreign key quandries

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key quandries
Date: 2003-03-01 05:11:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not sure I understand the question. The case as described simply has
to deadlock because your approaching the same values with conflicting
tasks from opposite directions.

Detect it, kill one, and continue on.

Same problem as:

T1 insert into pk values (1);
T2 insert into pk values (2);
T2 insert into pk values (1);
T1 insert into pk values (2);

It's up to the application(s) to minimize risk by approaching values in
a common order for a given set of work.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc