Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks
Date: 2003-02-11 14:39:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 08:26, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm. I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks. It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

How much of the performance difference is from the RDBMS, from the
middleware, and from the quality of implementation in the middleware.

While I'm not surprised that the the cygwin version of PostgreSQL is
slow, those results don't tell me anything about the quality of the
middleware interface between PHP and PostgreSQL. Does anyone know if we
can rule out some of the performance loss by pinning it to bad
middleware implementation for PostgreSQL?

Regards,

--
Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
Copeland Computer Consulting