ADO syntax

From: Martin Hickling <martin(at)kmcomputers(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ADO syntax
Date: 2003-01-31 07:23:54
Lists: pgadmin-support
Hi All,

Can anybody help?

I have setup PostgreSQL 7.1 on a RedHat 7.2 machine. I finally managed
the configuration and have an ADO connection to a Database imported from
MS Sql server.

If I retrieve a record set with "SELECT DISTINCT lastname AS alpha FROM
customers" I can manipulate the records and without the DISTINCT can add
new.

If I want only the first letter form each of the customers names I tried
using "SELECT DISTINCT SUBSTR(lastname FROM 1 FOR 1) AS alpha FROM
customers" the database returns 'parse error at or near FROM'.

As the first string works the error has to be with the syntax of SUBSTR.
Does anybody know how to format the string so that the database will
accept the function. Presumably I will have the same problem trying to
use any of the functions.

Martin

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2003-01-31 19:07:49