Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LOCK TABLE & speeding up mass data loads
Date: 2003-01-25 19:19:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 13:07, Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 13:57, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would LOCK TABLE ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE speed things up, when I have
> > a script that loads data by setting transactions, and then committing
> > works after every few thousand INSERTs?
>
> If you're the only person working on the database, then no. If you're
> fighting for resources with a bunch of other people -- then possibly,
> but the others won't get anything done during this timeframe (of
> course).

Ok.

> Oh, and you're using COPY right?

No. Too much data manipulation to do 1st. Also, by committing every
X thousand rows, then if the process must be aborted, then there's
no huge rollback, and the script can then skip to the last comitted
row and pick up from there.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Fear the Penguin!!" |