Re: [repost] pg_restore doesn't work with custom format?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>
Cc: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [repost] pg_restore doesn't work with custom format?
Date: 2001-10-19 23:19:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com> writes:
> This looks like a bug, or can somebody explain how I'm supposed to
> restore a custom archive dump?

It looks to me like pg_restore is a tad confused, or at least confusing,
about how it handles selection of database. One thing we ought to
figure out is whether a -d switch on the command line overrides the
original database name taken from the dump file. I would think that
it should: if I say -d then that's where I want the data restored to.
But it doesn't work that way at the moment. What seems to actually
happen if you specify --create is that it first connects to the -d
database for just long enough to issue a CREATE DATABASE command for
the same dbname seen in the dump file, then switches to that database.
On the other hand, if you *don't* say --create then it does indeed
restore into the -d database. This is inconsistent to say the least.

I suggest that -d ought always to be the target database if it's
specified. If we are given --create, then connect to template1
initially to create the DB, same as "createdb" would do. If -d is
not given, then use the dbname in the dump file as the default target.

The handling of --clean --create is even more broken: it connects
to the -d database, tries to issue the DROP commands there, ending
with a DROP DATABASE for the dump file's dbname; then it recreates
and connects to that dbname and restores there. This is just plain
silly and can never succeed (if you do make -d equal to the target,
so that the initial DROPs work, then the DROP DATABASE will fail).

My vote would be that pg_restore ought NEVER issue a DROP DATABASE.
It's just too damn risky to do that. Let the user do it by hand
first, if that's what he really wants.

In short, I think the behavior ought to be:

1. Target database is named by -d switch, else default to dbname
from dump file.

2. If --create specified, connect to template1 and issue CREATE DATABASE
for target.

3. Connect to target database.

4. If --clean specified, issue DROP commands. (Note that --clean
--create is not too sensible since DROPs cannot be needed in a new
database. Should we ignore --clean if --create was given too?)

5. Issue create and data loading commands.

Comments?

regards, tom lane