Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ...

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New Portal in Place, DNS switched ...
Date: 2003-01-05 23:58:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 18:05, Dave Page wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I personnally would prefer to remove them, however
> unless we get suitable corporate sponsorship the servers still have to
> be paid for somehow.

Granted. I'm just trying to point out that putting ads on our webspace
is a pretty serious problem. If that's the *only* way to keep
postgresql.org, then so be it -- but perhaps there's another way to get
the necessary funds, as Gavin suggested (for example, a more efficient
mirroring scheme, using zlib compression for the main web server, etc.)

> You're surely not suggesting that the various postgresql.org servers and
> everything they do could be moved onto free space supplied by
> Sourceforge or similar?

No; I'm just pointing out that (a) putting ads on their websites is the
exception, rather than the rule, among reputable OSS projects (b) even
OSS projects that don't pay anything for their webspace don't need to
use banner ads.

Cheers,

Neil
--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC