Re: questions about disk configurations

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: questions about disk configurations
Date: 2002-12-10 23:13:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 15:16, Hubert depesz Lubaczewski wrote:
[snip]
> anyway: what i understood is that usually the best (performance-wise),
> would be to put:
> xlog - separate - unraid'ed disk, or raid0

Unless your data is *easily* recreatable, NEVER RAID0!!

> tables - any raid, but not raid 1
> indices - any raid, but not raid 1

Why not RAID1 (mirroring)? It speeds up both reads and writes.

Things are also dependent on the RAID controller, since they
all have different strengths and weaknesses.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher." |
| Socrates |