Re: ALTER DOMAIN .. OWNER TO ..

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER DOMAIN .. OWNER TO ..
Date: 2002-12-09 15:28:16
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 09:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> > Either a superuser or owner of the schema may change the owner of the
> > domain.
>
> Superuser only, please. Or are you not familiar with the reasons why
> most Unixen do not allow one to "give away" ownership of a file?

Not schema owner?

Isn't the schema owner considered a 'superuser' of their own area?

The two reasons I know of are 1) quotas, and 2) people breaking in
hiding their work.

We don't have quotas, and if the schema owner is 'super user' in their
area, then they'll always be able to find it -- though I can understand
not allowing change of owner on the schema by the schema owner (database
owner and super users only...).

Anyway, I'll submit the change for it to be superuser only -- and will
debate that the database owner should be superuser for their database
later.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc