Re: DBD::Pg 1.20 uncompatible with Postgres 7.3?

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
Cc: dbi-users(at)perl(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD::Pg 1.20 uncompatible with Postgres 7.3?
Date: 2002-12-05 17:44:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:39, David Wheeler wrote:
> I chatted with Bruce Momjian about this a bit, too. My idea: PostgreSQL
> should provide functions that do this sort of thing, so that psql,
> DBD::Pg, org.postgresql.jdbc, and PostgreSQL ODBC can just use the
> functions without worrying about the version numbers.
>
> But then, somebody's gotta write the functions, contributed them to the
> project, get them committed, and then wait for 7.4 to take advantage of
> them. Still, it could eventually make such driver metadata requirements
> much more portable across later PostgreSQL versions.

So what's the answer?  At present, we cannot upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3
because the DBD code will quit working.  I could produce a patch that
solves our problem, but I have no facilities or expertise to verify that
it will work for everyone.

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 616.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 616.349.9076