Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Date: 2009-03-30 15:05:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> This looks OK to me, except I think we should modify the documentation
>> to PQinitSSL() to say that it you must not use both that function and
>> PQinitSecure(), and explain that if you need to control initialization
>> of libcrypto and libssl, you should use that function instead.

> do you think PQinitSSL should be deprecated?

I see no reason to deprecate it per se.  I was planning to just define
it as equivalent to PQinitSecure(do_init, do_init).

BTW, unless someone objects I'd like to make the name of that function
PQinitSecurity.  The other looks like it's implying that it is replacing
an insecure PQinit() function ...