Re: Help with PostgreSQL Access

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andrew Tuson <andy(at)forum(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with PostgreSQL Access
Date: 2002-11-18 00:52:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 20:25, Andrew Tuson wrote:
> My query is concerning PostgreSQL Access.  When I open it none of the icons
> work and I assume that I have to use Database/Open to tell it the name of my
> database.  The Host is shown as localhost and the Port is set to 5432.  No
> matter what I enter in the other icons I get the following error message:
>
> Connection to database failed
> could not connect to server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host localhost and
> accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Presumably you did not start the postmaster with -i, or else your
settings in $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf do not allow TCP/IP access from
localhost.

The easiest solution is to remove "localhost" from the Host field and
leave that blank.  The connection should then use the Unix socket rather
than TCP/IP.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK