Re: What is postgres password.

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: HK <harikrishnan(at)midascomm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is postgres password.
Date: 2002-10-18 11:11:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 10:03, HK wrote:
> hi all,
> can anybody tell me the password of postgres user in RH linux
> 7.2. The pgsql i am using comes as part of the RH linux 7.2.
> Right now i am logging as root and using su - postgres to use postgrey.
> thanx in advance.

It ought (I am not a RH user) to be an account which by default cannot
be used directly - i.e. the password field in /etc/shadow should contain
"*" which cannot be matched by anything. It would be very bad practice
for RH to set a default password for any user.

If you want to be able to log in directly, set a password for it
yourself:

# passwd postgres

but in my opinion the way you are doing it now is preferable - if
someone were to log in directly as 'postgres', how could you know which
particular individual had logged in?

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK