PostGres Text Search

From: <chrisr(at)hawaii(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostGres Text Search
Date: 2008-04-29 01:52:26
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello,

I have been trying to configure the 8.3 text search capabilities using the documentation from the site from section 12 of 8.3 documentation.  I understand the basics but I am trying to set up a custom synonym dictionary so that I could have abbreviations be returned as a hit for searches on words that are part of the abbreviation.

For instance if I have the abbreviation "HLA", I would want it to be hit for a search on any of the terms "high", "level", or "architecture" or any combination thereof.  Now from the documentation they have a sample synonym dictionary file that contains something like:

postgres pg
postgresql pg
postgre pg

and this will return 'pg' as the lexeme for any of those terms, however, what I want to do is go the other way, and have one term return hits for several terms, but I'm not sure If i can make this work with a synonym dictionary or not.

Should I  be attempting this with a synonym dictionary or not, and if not, what approach should i use to accomplish this?  I have read through the documentation several times and attempted all the samples, but I may have missed an example of this or have failed to make the connection on how to accomplish this, so if it is merely a matter of my missing the proper reference, a pointer to that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Chris

pgsql-general by date