Re: How to drop a temporary view?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to drop a temporary view?
Date: 2012-04-20 17:24:48
Lists: pgsql-general
Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it> writes:
>> As you can see, the third time I get a NOTICE message I don't get the
>> first two times.
>> Everything works fine but this strange thing...

> There's a typo (extra create temporary view), Sorry,

Hm, yeah, the first time would throw an error because pg_temp doesn't
resolve, so if you're using DROP IF EXISTS there would be a visible
difference in behavior between the two cases.

I wonder if DROP IF EXISTS should consider non-existence of the
specified schema (if any) as being a "not exists" case, and not throw
an error for it.  This isn't specific to the temp schema at all IMO.