Re: version mismatch detection doesn't work

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PgSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: version mismatch detection doesn't work
Date: 2002-09-28 18:48:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It was I that originally brought the topic up. I don't really remember
the exact details but I do seem to recall that the author thought it was
a horrid idea. Basically and poorly paraphrased the response was that
everyone should use select version() after they connect and if they
don't know to do that or simply forget, that's tough. I also seem to
recall that even the prospect of having some slash command that showed
psql and back end version was considered a waste and a bad/redundant
idea. So, as it stands, only the psql version is displayed.

I still think it makes so much more sense to simply state something
like, "Welcome to psql 7.3b1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal. You
are currently connected with a 7.1.1 server named 'foobar'". It's
simple and makes the information very obvious. It also helps re-enforce
the name of the server that you've connected with. I should clarify,
the host name par is not something I originally asked about but does
seem to make sense. I honestly could care less about the exact text as
making the information obviously available is all that I care really
about.

Personally, I never understood how making even marginally redundant
information readily and obviously available, especially when it can
prevent some potential peril, is a bad idea. But, for each is own. ;)

Greg