Re: [JDBC] Prepared statement performance...

From: Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
To: Peter Kovacs <peter(dot)kovacs(at)sysdata(dot)siemens(dot)hu>
Cc: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>, Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Prepared statement performance...
Date: 2002-09-27 11:29:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Peter,

I have to agree with Barry here. Since it is possible to send two (or
more ) statements to the backend, the programmer needs some mechanism
for enabling/disabling this feature. Unless of course we were to write a
sql parser in the jdbc driver so that we could predetermine which
statements should use the prepare mechanism or not.

I often use prepared statements instead of simple statements even when
only doing one select. The difference being that I can use setXXX to set
the parameters in the statment. Which is particularly important for
setDate, setTime, setTimestamp

And you would be amazed at the unique (irregular) coding practices which
exist out there, so having the default do something sane is a GOOD
THING.

Dave