Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date: 2002-09-26 15:41:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 09:52, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> My friend argues for ext2 to eliminate journalling overhead but I favour
> reiserfs personally having used it in pgbench with 10M rows on paltry 20GB IDE
> disk for 25 tps..
>
> We will be attempting raiserfs and/or XFS if required. I know how much speed
> difference exists between resiserfs and ext2. Would not be surprised if
> everythng just starts screaming in one go..

I'm not sure about reiserfs or ext3 but with XFS, you can create your
log on another disk. Also worth noting is that you can also configure
the size and number of log buffers. There are also some other
performance type enhancements you can fiddle with if you don't mind
risking time stamp consistency in the event of a crash. If your setup
allows for it, you might want to consider using XFS in this
configuration.

While I have not personally tried moving XFS' log to another device,
I've heard that performance gains can be truly stellar. Assuming memory
allows, twiddling with the log buffering is said to allow for large
strides in performance as well.

If you do try this, I'd love to hear back about your results and
impressions.

Greg