Re: Strange situation with two tables.

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Terry Yapt <yapt(at)technovell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange situation with two tables.
Date: 2002-09-11 14:19:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 14:34, Terry Yapt wrote:
> And here is the problem because more client connections are inserting
debits (and perhaps to the same customer_number I am working with), but
I _ONLY_ MUST to update the debits.bill_number to that debits.ROWS I
have treated in the bill.ROW creation step.

I think you are worrying about a non-problem..  If you are working in a
PL/PGSQL function. anything you do will automatically happen inside one
transaction.  Therefore, nothing that happens to the database after that
transaction starts will be visible to your function.  So you don't have
to worry about subsequent changes.

If you are doing several inserts before doing your bill update, and
don't want a later bill to include the ones you are dealing with,
enclose all your SQL commands in BEGIN ... END to turn them all into one
transaction.  (Don't confuse PL/PGSQL's BEGIN...END with SQL's
BEGIN...END)  None of the results of the transaction will be visible to
other connections until the transaction is committed.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK