Re: PG 8.3.3 - ERROR: lock AccessShareLock on object 16385/16467/0 is already held

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Milligan <milli(at)acmeps(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 8.3.3 - ERROR: lock AccessShareLock on object 16385/16467/0 is already held
Date: 2008-08-29 20:28:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Michael Milligan <milli(at)acmeps(dot)com> writes:
> Uh oh.  This is a first (for me).  I got this error on a transaction, it
> did not crash the server but did abort the transaction (of course).

> ERROR:  lock AccessShareLock on object 16385/16467/0 is already held

Huh, that shouldn't happen.  What object is that?  The 16385 should be
a database OID, and the 16467 is most likely a table's OID within that
database.

> What was I doing?  A large transaction where I was pushing about 20
> million rows into two tables using prepared transactions.  I have been
> doing this for some time (over a year) on 8.2.6 without any problems.

> I may be able to reproduce, but the transaction takes a long time to
> complete... about a day.  I'm running it again now.

I wonder if it's possible that you overflowed nLocks in the local lock
table.  There are a lot of other things that likely would break first,
though, so that doesn't seem very probable.

Is this transaction longer than any comparable one you ever did before?