Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: Tyler Mitchell <TMitchell(at)lignum(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, nicolasb(at)maich(dot)gr
Subject: Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system
Date: 2002-08-30 21:43:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One more idea, is it possible to "fake" a read-write file system. I.e.
> supply the files that postgresql will be looking for? (I know it's a
> stretch, but hey, this IS the "hackers" list) :)

One of the tricks I use for diskless systems is to mount a ramdrive in a
union mount with a read only nfs mount. This allows filewrites (to the
ram drive) but old originals are retrieved from the ramdrive.

This is done on FreeBSD, but is effective enough for getting a fully
functioning system (yes, Postgresql included). Takes quite a bit of ram
though.

Perhaps there is a toolkit for windows that can do similar union mounts?