Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tyler Mitchell <TMitchell(at)lignum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, nicolasb(at)maich(dot)gr
Subject: Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system
Date: 2002-08-30 15:57:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 00:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Tyler Mitchell" <TMitchell(at)lignum(dot)com> writes:
> > We are trying to make a fully contained, CD-runable version of postgres.
> > The only problem we are really having is the locking of the database files
> > in the PGDATA folder. Since the PGDATA folder is on the CD (i.e.
> > read-only) this will not work.
>
> You can say that again.
>
> > Or better yet could you give me some guidance on how to
> > get around this.
>
> Put PGDATA on a writable volume. RAM disk, maybe.

This is only slightly more helpful, and maybe not even, but if you look
around there are a couple of linux distros that run completely off of a
CD-ROM (I tested a couple a couple of years ago). They set up a "virtual
filesystem" of sorts to allow people to browse the web and accept
cookies and other various items. If you can find one of these distros
you might be able to get a jump start on setting something like that up.

Robert Treat