Re: [HACKERS] Companies involved in development

From: Robert Treat <rtreat(at)webmd(dot)net>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Companies involved in development
Date: 2002-08-15 23:14:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 17:13, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:05:07AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think we are going to see more company-funded developers working on
> > PostgreSQL. There are a handful now, but I can see lots more coming.
> > I am going to work on getting those funding companies more visibility.
> > We originally were concerned that such involvement may harm the
> > development process, but history has shown that it has only been a huge
> > benefit for the community.
>
> I agree, and it's also true that while the visibility of all you
> paid-to-hack types is high, the fact that you _are_ paid, and by wha
> companies, is not.

At a minimum we could have people attach a company name to their
developer bios (http://developer.postgresql.org/bios.php) if their
company pays them to hack on postgresql. (at the developers discretion
of course) At the least I would think companies like postgresql inc
would benefit from publicity that "we employee X number of pg
developers."

We could also generate a list of companies sponsoring postgresql
development, but we'd have to come up with some criterion as to what it
means to be a sponsors. For example, a coworker and I were discussing a
patch he is getting ready to submit this morning while we were "on the
clock". While our company doesn't have an issue with this, I don't know
that I would say they sponsor postgresql development, they just happen
to employ two guys who are more involved than most and will hack code if
it scratches our particular itch.

Robert Treat