Re: [SQL] Question on Inheritance and Primary Keys.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dutt Kalapatapu <dutt(at)eudoramail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, dutt(at)pacbell(dot)net
Subject: Re: [SQL] Question on Inheritance and Primary Keys.
Date: 1999-10-12 01:21:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

Dutt Kalapatapu <dutt(at)eudoramail(dot)com> writes:
> I expect from this that when we insert some thing in TableB then
> parameterone should be unique, but the database is not enforcing the rule
> and it takes duplicate values.

Constraints and indexes aren't inherited; you have to redeclare them for
each derived table. I agree this is a bug, or at least lack of a
feature that ought to be there. It's on the TODO list, in fact:

* Unique index on base column not honored on inserts from inherited table
INSERT INTO inherit_table (unique_index_col) VALUES (dup) should fail
[inherit]

I don't know when it might get fixed. None of the currently active
developers seem to be very interested in inheritance issues, so it
could be a while before anyone decides to look at this problem.