Killing postgres processes.

From: Adam Bultman <adam(dot)bultman(at)iconideas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Killing postgres processes.
Date: 2002-07-23 14:11:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Greetings. I've got a postgres server that's being hit rather heavily.
I have many processes inititated by users (they start scripts running).
Because of user impatience and idiocy, despite my explanations, they
continue to re-run the script and not wait for the script to end the
first time (i.e. 'why isn't it finishing? <click click click>'). So, I
have about 9 postgres SELECTS going on right now that are pretty much
runaway and useless. Can I safely kill these without fubaring things?
I know killing the postmaster is Evil, but how about other processes?
i'm going to get a call in a few moments now in complaint, and I'd like
to be able to curb this right away.

Adam

--

Adam Bultman