Re: Tape/DVD Backup Suggestions?

From: Nathan Mueller <nate(at)cs(dot)wisc(dot)edu>
To: Tony Reina <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tape/DVD Backup Suggestions?
Date: 2002-07-17 21:48:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Can anyone make suggestions on backup systems? I was thinking that
> some sort of DVD writing system would be good for accessing one or two
> files in the backup quickly. It would probably also complete backups
> faster. However, I think DVD's only hold a few Gigs on them. Are there
> systems like with these features that could handle say 20 Gigs per
> media?

Where I work we just started using a new disk based backup system that
we wrote in-house. Disk is a little bit cheaper then tape -- plus much
faster. Another bonus is that your compression rate does not depend on
how fast your data is flowing. I'd suggest you buy a few 160GB IDE
drives and just dump your data there. It's faster, easier and you don't
need to change tapes. If you're interested in the source to our system
just let me know.

--Nate