Re: how is pitr replay interruption time determined?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how is pitr replay interruption time determined?
Date: 2007-08-27 23:17:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> LOG:  database system was interrupted while in recovery at log time 2007-07-30
> 19:17:37 EDT

> I am curious how this date is determined by postgres/pitr?

It's the update timestamp in pg_control, which in essence is going to be
the completion time of the last checkpoint.  If the crash was during WAL
recovery, as it seems to be, it'd be the time the last "restart"
checkpoint was made.

I'm not sure why the phrase "at log time" is used.  It looks like
whoever wrote the message thought that the timestamp would be one taken
from the WAL data being replayed, but that's not what I see the code
doing.