Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 16:28:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And, quite frankly, until the BigO loses its grip, I really don't see them
> coming out of the closet and admitting to using PgSQL ... why? I don't
> know abotu you, but all I can imagine in my head is a horde of O-salesman
> descending on the company wondering why they switched and how can they
> convince them otherwise, etc, etc ...
>
> I know ... I deal with those salesman all the time, from Oracle to Sun to
> Microsoft ...

Yeah, but the lunches are usually pretty good ;)

Anyway, we've kept a trinket system around which covers nearly every big
name required in order to allow marketing to push that we use the
technology (PeopleSoft, Oracle, NT + Sun Clustering, etc.). Honestly,
I'm not sure how essential to the system the CRM is. We'd notice if it
was missing -- but we could live with a couple hours downtime without
any issues.

Fact is, even if we replaced the CRM with another solution an Oracle
based NT box with some application would be running distributed.net in
the corner in order to be able to say we use it when people ask. If
they ask what for, it's always mission critical but very vague.