Re: Less available diskspace after crashed CLUSTER

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sander Steffann" <sander(at)steffann(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Less available diskspace after crashed CLUSTER
Date: 2005-01-15 18:01:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Sander Steffann" <sander(at)steffann(dot)nl> writes:
> 2005-01-15 15:17:46 [30605] PANIC: PANIC: could not write to file
> "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.30605": Geen ruimte over op apparaat
> STATEMENT: CLUSTER;

Hmm. I wonder why we have XLogFileInit forcing a PANIC for this. At
one time it was called only from critical sections and so the error
would become a panic anyway, but that's not true anymore...

> The database is running nice again, but I have the feeling I lost some
> diskspace... I suspected a temp file, so I stopped the postmaster, looked in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/17142/pgsql_tmp, found one file and deleted it. But
> now I still have 1G less available diskspace than before the CLUSTER.

> Where should I look next? I would like the diskspace back :-)

I'm guessing that the new table/index files created during the CLUSTER
didn't get released after the PANIC. Look for files that are not
referenced by any relfilenode value in pg_class. Don't forget that
there may be multiple sections (filenode.1, etc). See
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/storage.html
(which is for 8.0, but everything except the material on tablespaces
applies to 7.4).

Also, did you get rid of the xlog temp file mentioned in the message?