Re: keyword list/ecpg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keyword list/ecpg
Date: 2008-06-13 13:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com> writes:
> I took a quick look at this - would it be ok to add some small amounts
> of 'markup' to the gram.y ?
> eg :

> /* ECPGCOPYON */
> /* ECPGCOPYOFF */

> /* ECPGMODE=NOSPACE */
> /* ECPGMODE=USESPACE */

We're almost certainly going to need some kluges of that sort, so as
long as they're not all over the place I won't object.

But ... I've seen no evidence that those specific examples are needed.
Why wouldn't we copy all the backend rules? And based on Michael's last
comment it's unclear that we need to avoid adding spaces in the
mechanically generated actions, either (which squares with my gut
feeling about SQL syntax). You'll probably need to get into specific
cases before finding out what kluges you need.