Re: Enabling SSL fails to restart server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Patricola" <david(dot)patricola(at)jefferson(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SSL fails to restart server
Date: 2011-02-25 05:10:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

"David Patricola" <david(dot)patricola(at)jefferson(dot)edu> writes:
> When we set ssl=on in postgres.conf the server doesn't restart at all. No
> error message, no log. When we turn it off again it connects fine.
> Postgres was installed with RedHat as a package so is there some manual
> installation that needs to be done? Below is the version being used.

If you just change that setting, and don't provide the required
certificate and private key files, it's expected that the server would
refuse to start. It definitely will complain about that though --- I
think you're failing to look in the right log file. Did you check
/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log?

See here for some hints about configuring SSL correctly:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ssl-tcp.html