Postgresql 7.1.3 faster than 7.2.1

From: Denis Gasparin <denis(at)edistar(dot)com>
Subject: Postgresql 7.1.3 faster than 7.2.1
Date: 2002-04-30 10:18:06
Lists: pgsql-general
I have created a stored procedure (written in c) and loaded into a
postgresql 7.2.1 database. I have also done a test routine that executes
a bunch (100+) of these stored procedures.

Each test thread does these operations:
- BEGIN
- LOCK TABLE XXX IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE
- SELECT mystoreprocedure()
- COMMIT

The strange thing is that the testing process is very slow (seems like
fsync is enabled while i have disabled it in postgresql.conf file).

Then i have installed postgresql 7.1.3 and the testing process is now as
fast as i was expecting...

Why is there such a different behaviour between the two versions? The
configuration files are similar (except for the stats processor that is
present in 7.2.1).

The system is a redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.18.

--
Doct. Eng. Denis Gasparin: denis(at)edistar(dot)com

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Vaclav KulakovskyDate: 2002-04-30 12:09:55