newbie: renaming sequences task

From: craigp <craigp98072(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: newbie: renaming sequences task
Date: 2008-03-02 10:36:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi -

I was perusing the todo list to see some easy items that I might help out on (and get up to speed on postgres hacking)... one of them (with %) seems to lead to another:

      o %Have ALTER TABLE RENAME rename SERIAL sequence names
      o Have ALTER SEQUENCE RENAME rename the sequence name stored in the sequence table

and perhaps this one as well:

  Consider placing all sequences in a single table, or create a system view

I read through the mailing list links (they seem to culminate with these two):

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-09/msg00141.php
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-10/msg00038.php

But I'm left a bit confused on what, if anything, can or should be done. Maybe this isn't the best item to start with? If I had some more direction, it might be straightforward enough.

One thing I did notice: sequence names are stored in both pg_type.typname and pg_class.relkind. I presume both tables would need to be updated, unless we remove the redundancy? Why can they not be updated within a single transaction (easily)? What sort of restructuring would be needed to separate out the transactional vs non-transactional aspects?

thanks!
--craig

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Next:From: craigpDate: 2008-03-02 10:46:24