Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes
Date: 2002-02-25 23:42:27
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 18:32, Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, in the mean-time, I think my patch is still valid. Unless there
> > are any remaining problems, please apply for 7.3.
>
> No, I disagree.  If we are intending to remove ownership from indexes,
> there is no good reason to add code that will only get taken out again.

Well, that's assuming that someone steps forward to actually write the
code. I haven't heard that anyone has...

And as for adding code that will only be removed, the code is finished,
tested, reviewed and ready to apply -- all the work _has_ been done.

Additionally, if someone eventually fixes the index-ownership situation,
the changes to command.c to remove the index recursion are trivial. This
patch also includes some refactoring and code cleanups that are useful
in any case.

> There is no bug here of sufficient importance to warrant a temporary
> hack solution; the existing behavior can be lived with.

I wouldn't call my solution a "temporary hack"; it's a similar idea to
code that is found throughout the tree.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC