Re: Can postgres use the login password

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: John Fabiani <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can postgres use the login password
Date: 2002-02-19 09:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 10:34, John Fabiani wrote:
> I would like to pass the login password to Postgres. Will this work?
> TIA
> John

To take your stated desire literally, the answer is certainly no,
because you don't know what the password is - nor should you.

If you mean that you want a Unix user to be able to connect to
PostgreSQL under his Unix identity, this facility is provided for Unix
socket connections on certain operating systems by 7.2, where "ident"
authentication has been extended to Unix sockets. "ident" is available
in 7.2 and earlier releses for TCP/IP but is then only as secure as the
identd server of the client's machine. In either case, you have to
create PostgreSQL users with the same names as the Unix users who want
to connect to the database.

See the documentation in src/backend/libpq/pg_hba.conf.sample.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned
every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on
him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6