Re: pgaccess - client wont access testdb

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: streethockey(at)ureach(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess - client wont access testdb
Date: 2002-01-28 14:55:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 14:07, Eric Webber wrote:

> pgaccess X client comes up fine but when I try to open a database
> I get the error:
>
> "Error trying to connect to database 'testdb' on host localhost
>
> PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed
>
> connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
> IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
> and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"
>

> Why would I get this when psql works fine ?
>
> What am I doing wrong ? How would I check what port it is running
> on and whether is running with -i and at localhost ?
>
> Isnt the fact psql works proof enough that pgacess should work
> too in terms of connectivity ?

Your problem is that you have retained pgaccess' default host
(localhost) in the connection dialog. If you have anything at all in
the host field when you connect, pgaccess tries to use a TCP/IP
connection, which you have not enabled.

Blank out the host field and pgaccess will use Unix sockets.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the
LORD delivereth him out of them all."
Psalm 34:19