Re: libpq not reentrant

From: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq not reentrant
Date: 2002-01-18 15:28:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Il ven, 2002-01-18 alle 16:21, Tom Lane ha scritto:
> So right off the bat, configure is going to have a task guessing
> the correct type of the third argument to crypt_r. (Who knows what
> it is on other Unixen...)

very bad, indeed. i think i'll solve that (on my side) by adding a
configure option to psycopg to be used to allow threading when the user
is *sure* postgres has been compiled with a reentrant version of crypt.

> Given that as of 7.2, MD5 is the preferred password encryption method
> and crypt() is deprecated, I'm not inclined to spend a lot of work
> trying to develop a bulletproof autoconf procedure for making crypt
> re-entrant. I'm strongly inclined to just document the problem and
> leave it at that. Comments?

yes. what about using crypt from DES (reentrant) if postgres is being
linked with it? is the MD5 stuff reentrant?

thank you for your promptly response,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact fog(at)debian(dot)org