Re: Is It Too Big ? - Customer Data Warehouse Growth

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is It Too Big ? - Customer Data Warehouse Growth
Date: 2002-01-17 20:09:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 09:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> I seem to recall having heard that Linux has some ~100GB restriction on
> the size of a single filesystem, which could be a problem. That might
> be obsolete information, but be sure to check max filesystem size for
> whichever kernel you select.

No, ext2 (Linux's default filesystem) can use partitions up to 4TB in
size. For a system this large, something like XFS might be a good choice
(it's been ported to Linux by SGI) -- IIRC, it supports filesystems
larger than a petabyte.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC