Re: Update /src/tools/msvc to VC++ 2008

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Huber <DHuber(at)letourneautechnologies(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update /src/tools/msvc to VC++ 2008
Date: 2009-08-28 16:19:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Dave Huber <DHuber(at)letourneautechnologies(dot)com> writes:
> I have recently installed MS VC++ 2008 Express Edition for a project
> that interfaces with PostgreSQL. I really liked that it had tools for
> creating the solution and projects under VC++. However, the perl
> scripts create solution and project files for VC++ 2005. This causes
> the build to fail if you have 2008 installed since the projects need
> to be updated before they can be built with vcbuild.

Count on Microsoft to arbitrarily break their customers' code :-(

> 2. Can I submit my scripts and have the msvc tools reviewed/updated?

I believe the current Windows binaries are still being built with 2005,
so unless you can change it in a backwards-compatible fashion, the odds
of the patch getting rejected are pretty high. But you can try. This
is the wrong list for submitting patches, however --- send to
pgsql-hackers.