Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Date: 2001-12-17 17:08:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 12:22, mlw wrote:
> > That's been Mark's primary argument all along, and what it ignores is
> > that the standard behavior for daemons is designed around the assumption
> > that a system is running only one copy of any given daemon.  That's a
> > fine assumption for most daemons but an unacceptable one for Postgres.
> It makes NO such argument at all! It allows an admin to explicitly share a
> configuration file (or not). I allows for one central place in which multiple
> configuration files can be stored and backed up. It allows for the explicit
> sharing of pg_hba.conf files. (It was noted that pg_ident.conf should be added,
> I am looking at it.)
> Most of all it does these things WITHOUT symlinks. Most admins I know like
> symlinks as a method of working around a short coming in a product, but would
> rather have the configurability designed into the product.
> I wrote this patch to make it easier for me to administer multiple databases on
> one machine. To make it easier for UNIX admins to follow the dba's trail. I
> wrote this so a system was a bit more self documenting without having to follow
> symlinks.

As Debian packager I would very much like to see a more convenient and
controllable configuration system.

Ross described last week the Debian method of symlinking the real config
files in /etc/postgresql to $PGDATA/; this method is forced on us by
Debian policy, which requires that all config files be in /etc.  The
undesired result is that it is not convenient to run multiple servers on
a single machine using the Debian package.

I am currently considering a method of getting round this by creating a
subdirectory of /etc/postgresql for each server instance, but it would
be nice to be able to share global options in more convenient ways than
by multiplying symlinks.

Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight

     "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every
      man that is among you: Do not think of yourself more
      highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself
      with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure
      of faith God has given you."            Romans 12:3