Re: How to manage search results?

From: Marius Andreiana <marius(at)wdg(dot)ro>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-php <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to manage search results?
Date: 2001-12-10 10:32:35
Lists: pgsql-php

On Lu, 2001-12-10 at 11:59, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> I just construct my query in the normal way and append a LIMIT ...
> OFFSET ... clause to control the finally select records.
I can't do that.

Some of the queries I use are complex; after you run a query you
can refine it, add to results, substract from results... I use
a table to build the results from initial query, then add/remove to it
as needed until search is done and finally user starts to
browse the results. I can't make it in one huge query.

For simple queries your solution is the best, no need for
a table; I assume you just save the query in a session variable.
I also assume your query doesn't take more than a second to run.

thanks
--
Marius Andreiana