Re: Creating users from shell or perl script

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Danny Aldham <danny(at)lennon(dot)postino(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating users from shell or perl script
Date: 2001-11-23 06:59:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2001-11-23 at 03:29, Danny Aldham wrote:

> I have written a program that will install some software,
> create a database, and create a couple of postgres users. Most
> everything is working, but I cannot see how to create postgres
> users with set passwords. If the script calls createuser the
> prompts do not come to the user, and anyway I do not want them to.
> I want to be able to create the user with a password and not have
> the person running the script see it. Right now I am trying in perl:
> $output = `/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createuser $New_User ` ;

You don't have to do this through the shell scripts; you can use SQL
directly:

CREATE USER username WITH PASSWORD 'password'

> I have tried attaching using DBI but don't know what DB to attach to.

You can attach to any database to do this, but template1 should always
exist and should be your default choice.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk

     "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to
      all that call upon him in truth."
                                   Psalms 145:18