Constant "JTable" update

From: Jean-Christophe ARNU <arnu(at)paratronic(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Constant "JTable" update
Date: 2001-11-08 21:38:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello to all the pgJDBC communauty!

My problem seems to be quite simple to solve, but I would like to get
you opinion on the different solutions available for the result to be
programmed as nicer as it can :

My PostgreSQL database is used as a data storage for measure. On
process "feeds" the database, inserting measure in a table (measure). On
the other hand, I have a java program which is used to display such
results in tables (or charts). Up to there, nothing seems to be easier.
But I have to display data in "real time". The java program has to be
notified that a new measure (or data content in the measure table) was
inserted (repectively has changed).

The straightforward solution seems to have database listeners on the
table that wakes-up a notifier in the java program. But such kind of
mechanism seems not to be implemented in the JDBC API (up to my small
knowledge).
The second tortuous solutions (the one I use) is to query the database
relatively often to get the freshest results. This is quite bandwidth
consumming (assuming that some users should use a quite small bandwidth
connection). Using this kind of solution makes the Java application
slow...

My questions are : is there any other solutions (Use of cursor maybe)?
is the first solution can be implemented while combining JDBC et
PostgreSQL functionnalities?

Thank you for any remarks/answers/attention paid for these problems.
--
Jean-Christophe ARNU
s/w developer