Re: [HACKERS] Improved \df(+) in psql + backward-compatibility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Improved \df(+) in psql + backward-compatibility
Date: 2005-08-29 15:13:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> I've noticed that \df doesn't do quite what it might when a function
> is created with named input parameters. Please find enclosed a patch
> against CVS TIP that does this better.

Meanwhile, getting back to the actual merits of the patch ... this is
not right yet, because it will do the wrong thing when there are OUT
parameters. (The proargnames array includes both IN and OUT params,
and you can't assume that proargnames and proargtypes have corresponding
subscripts.) It would probably be a good idea to discuss what display
we want for a function with OUT parameters, anyway. The strict columnar
representation that \df currently uses doesn't scale very well :-(