Re: Visual Database Design Tools

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Ben Statham <ben(at)acg(dot)ac(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Database Design Tools
Date: 2001-10-25 08:59:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 15:54, Ben Statham wrote:

> As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for Databases
> to use with PostgreSQL.
> Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm looking
> for a tool to ease my developers
> into SQL without jolting their world too much.
>
> Any info gratefully received.

I haven't used Filemaker Pro, so have no idea what the interface looks
like.

Have you looked into pgaccess at all? This gives a certain amount of
basic GUI interface to PostgreSQL. If you are using Windows then
several other things can deal to the database with ODBC and so might
also allow the sort of interface you are used to.

We have recently been looking for a somewhat more high-end ER/BP
modelling tool ourselves for managing database designs. A reasonable
interface to PostgreSQL has been one of the harder requirements to meet,
but I think we have found one that did, which unfortunately didn't meet
our other requirements - we haven't bought anything yet.

Regards,
Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201 MOB: +64(21)635-694 OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267