Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing

From: "John R Pierce" <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "\"PostgreSQL Bugs List\"" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing
Date: 2004-08-26 02:59:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>> so all of china uses CST, which is *NOT* CST as we know it here in North
>> America ;-/
>
> Yeah, it's going to be difficult to do much about this stuff with the
> current approach of a hardwired table of zone names.  There are other
> unresolved conflicts (IST is one I think).

Yeah, its a maze of twisty little passages.

I just fired off a suggestion to the DBAs and SQL developers on my team that
everything should use RFC822 style time,

    $ date -R
    Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:43:22 -0700

and be done with it.  I haven't had a chance to look at the Java/JDBC code
which triggered the SGT bug in Singapore yet.