Re: Developing a forms based web application

From: "paul butler" <paul(at)entropia(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Steve McAllister" <stevemca(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Developing a forms based web application
Date: 2003-01-29 10:03:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Send reply to: <stevemca(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
From: "Steve McAllister" <stevemca(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [NOVICE] Developing a forms based web application
Date sent: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:14:27 +1100

Aolserver is a webserver, so not a direct solution to your needs
OpenAcs is an Open source Content Management/ web publishing
set up that uses postgres, not sure how this would help you, and if
it did it would probably be a sledgehammer approach.

For a quick way to go online I would use php, its pg library is fast
and effective for this sort of work, I'm sure a Perl script would work
as well.
You'll have to take into consideration how important state and
concurrency is in the php side of things (ie whether you need to
use sessions etc, user authentication, artifacts of the web
environment) which is distinct from the persistent side of things
that postgres handles so well

Rewriting applications is usually tedious and rarely direct, but there
you go

HTH

Paul Butler

HTH

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on how to best create a web enabled forms
based application. If anybody has any ideas it would be greatly
appreciated.

I have an MS Access forms application that now sports a Postgres
database at the back end running under RedHat 8.0. I would like to
redevelop the Access form to web enable it. I have played around with
Perl and PHP and although I'm sure I could rewrite the application in
either of these languages doing so looks a little tedious.

Maybe I should be looking at OpenAcs, AOLserver and Postgres. But, then
maybe I'm on the wrong track altogether. Is there some sort of forms
based web application? I have seen one called DBForms, however, it
appears to be based on server side Java. I would prefer to stay away
from Java if I can.

Does anybody have any advice for me, please?

Steve McAllister

Outsourcing Solutions Consultant

Phone: 61 3 9631 1714

Mobile 61 414 311 677

E-mail: steve_mcallister(at)kaz(dot)com(dot)au