Re: Loss of cluster status

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Loss of cluster status
Date: 2003-02-24 02:21:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> No; directly manipulating the system catalogs in dump scripts is a
> crummy idea, because (a) it only works if you're superuser, and (b)
> it creates a nasty backwards-compatibility problem if we change the
> catalogs involved.
>
> A CLUSTER command issued just after table creation, while it's still
> empty, would be cheap ... but we don't put the index in place until
> we've loaded the data, do we?  Darn.

Maybe we should issue it after the CREATE INDEX and ADD CONSTRAINT has
occurred and just bite it.  We could have a pg_dump --no-cluster option to
suppress them.   However, we need to guarantee to the user that we restore
their database exactly as they had it.

Other potential problem - ALTER TABLE / SET STORAGE ?

Chris